Shopping for the best baby skincare products
Shopping for your new baby or shopping for a shower gift, there is so much out there and suddenly you realize you need to find the best natural baby products for this little one.
The Shampoos, powders, cream and other skincare products for baby should be free from harsh chemicals, this little baby’s tiny body will not detoxify like an adult can, so for this reason alone, we want to purchase the most safe natural baby products out there.
Skin care products for baby should be free or scented with essential oils that are okay for baby (many essential oils can not be used on babies until they are older) We would look for products that are made with natural ingredients.
Newborn baby care
Your newborn babies skin is so delicate so you will want to use the mildest cleansers and a little bit of lotion on your newborn, but if your baby gets diaper rash or dry skin you will have to find something to eliminate the problem. Natural skincare products are the safest.
It is important to use products that are phthalate and paraben free as those chemicals can be harmful to your baby. Also, be careful for labels that say the product is hypoallergenic as sometimes all it means is that it is less likely to cause a reaction. I know this only to well myself as I suffer from exzema and have to be very careful.
To make things easier I am going to give you links to products that I’ve already done the research on, making it easier for you to pick the best products for your baby.
Before baby arrives you will want to get the nursery set up and have what you will need for babies arrival.
I would suggest having the following skin care products ready:
- Baby soap and shampoos
- Baby lotion
- Petroleum Jelly – A natural substitute as petroleum jelly will block the pores
- Diaper Rash Ointment – one that will act as a barrier to protect babies skin
- Baby Laundry Detergent – free of perfumes and dyes
- Baby Powder – talc free
Natural Baby Care Products
Aleva Naturals have great products that are free from the harsh chemicals we mentioned earlier.
Aleva Naturals Newborn Gift Set
This gift set contains:
2 in 1 Hair & Body Wash, a Berry Bubble Bath, Daily Soothing Moisturizer and Bamboo Baby Wipes.
Aleva Naturals products are certified natural they are a member of the Natural Products Association and the Organic Trade Association.
Diaper Rash Creams
Aleva Naturals Soothing Diaper Cream
Aleva Naturals Soothing Diaper Cream, 3.4 fl.oz / 100ml
- unique blend of Organic Shea Butter, Aloe Vera and Natural Calendula extracts provides a protective moisture barrier, leaving your baby’s bottom feeling soft and silky-smooth.
- Free of Zinc Oxide, Beeswax and Lanolin, making it a perfect choice for cloth diapers as well.
- Ideal from birth onwards.
- Hypoallergenic, Paraben Free, Phenoxyethanol Free, Free of Harsh Chemicals and Toxins
Water/Eau, Butyrospermum Parkii* (Shea Butter) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis* (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Glyceryl Caprylate, Glyceryl Undecylenate, Olea Europaea* (Olive) Fruit Oil, Hydrolyzed Jojoba Esters, Calendula Officinalis Flower Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil.
Aleva is Certified Organic
Penaten Cream – long been used by mothers
- Penaten Daily Clear Protection Cream 100g creates a barrier against wetness & irritants.
- Baby diaper cream containing vitamin E.
- Fragrance-free, preservative-free, and hypoallergenic.
- Diaper cream is non-medicated and ideal for regular use.
Petrolatum, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Polyethylene, Silica, Mineral Oil (huile minérale), Tocopheryl Acetate.
I found a couple other Natural Diaper Rash Creams
Abundance Naturally Baby Balm
Abundance Naturally Baby Balm 90g
- Abundance Naturally Baby Balm helps treat and soothe diaper rash and other skin irritations such as dry, itchy skin, minor burns and cradle cap
- All natural and free from petroleum, zinc-oxide and fish oils, this Baby Balm is cloth diaper safe and compatible with liners and other materials used with cloth diapers
- The therapeutic blend of essential oils and botanical herbs heals baby’s soft and sensitive skin without drying it out or acting as a wetness barrier that won’t allow the skin to breathe
Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Prunus Dulcis (Sweet Almond Oil), Beeswax, Calendula Officinalis (Marigold), Stelloria Media (Chickweed), Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root, Hydrastis Canadensis (Golden seal) Root, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Oil, Lavendula Dentata (Lavender) Flower Oil, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Tocopherol (Vitamin E)
I would be hesitant to use this one on my new born baby as it contains Peppermint and Sandalwood Oil.
Substance Nappy Rash Ointment
- Mineral oil free, Substance Nappy Rash Ointment forms a protective barrier against wetness as it soothes and protects baby’s skin.
- Our herbal formulation of calendula, marsh-mallow, St. John’s wort, yarrow and myrrh powder has been designed specifically to balance young, sensitive skin.
- The herbal qualities are set in a rich nourishing base of shea butter, carrot oil and cocoa butter. Sweet scented roman chamomile essential oil completes this indispensable multi-purpose ointment.
- Use for diaper rash, cradle cap, winter dryness, chapping, cuts & scrapes and sun burn.
- Using cloth diapers? This zinc-free diaper rash cream is a perfect, all-natural barrier that’s appropriate for use with cloth diapers.
Calendula flowers, marshmallow root, myrrh powder St. John’s wort herb, yarrow flowers, soya bean oil shea butter, cocoa butter, coconut oil, carrot oil tocopherol(vit E), beeswax, roman chamomile essential oil.
Aleva Bamboo Diapers
Aleva Naturals Bamboo Baby Diapers, Size Newborn-1, (4-9 lbs / 2-4 kgs) 32 Count
- Chlorine free and latex free
- Made from eco-friendly, biodegradable and unbleached bamboo fibers on both top and bottom layers
- Extra-Strong with flexible side panels, a breathable back layer and a pocketed back waistband for added comfort and support
- Double sided leak guards are snug around the legs for leak-protection
- 3 line wetness indicator alerts parents when it’s time for a diaper change
Huggies and Pampers Disposable Diapers contain:
- Super absorbent (sodium polyacrylate)
- Synthetic rubber elastic
- Adhesive & Color
- pampers uses pigments rather than dyes
I think I’d rather have my babies bottom on unbleached natural bamboo fibers.
Eco by Naty is another diaper I would recommend
Naty by Nature Babycare Eco-Friendly Premium Disposable Diapers for Sensitive Skin, Size 1, 4 packs of 26 (104 Count) (Chemical, chlorine, perfume free)
- First eco diaper with ok bio based certification from one of the world’s most demanding independent non-profit organizations, TUV AUSTRIA
- Award-Winning premium performance, designed to minimize the risks of allergy and diaper rash
- Fsc certified pulp; gm-free, plant-based film, and fibers
- Packaging material in renewable material with an independent certification of the renew ability of raw materials. The certification by TUV AUSTRIA and bpi according to ASTM d6866
- Guaranteed free of: dioxins, fragrance/perfume, phthalates, VOCs, dyes, latex, tbt
There are a few other diapers out there such as The Honest Company and Seventh Generation, but I noticed they have colored animal prints on the diapers, where the two above do not have any colors added, so they would be my choice for sure.
Natural Baby Shampoo
Aleva Naturals Sleep Easy Hair and Body Wash
Aleva Naturals Sleep Easy Hair and Body Wash
- Lavender & Chamomile Oils release relaxing aromas to calm your baby for a restful sleep.
- Specially formulated for sensitive and eczema-prone skin. Natural Grapefruit Extracts moisturize baby’s hair & body leaving it feeling soft, supple and silky-smooth.
- pH balanced formula ensures that it is mild and gentle on babies eyes and sensitive areas, making it naturally “tear-free.”
- FREE OF HARSH CHEMICALS: Parabens, phthalate, phenoxyethanol, SLS, SLES, chlorine, dyes.
- SAFE & CONVENIENT: Suitable for daily-use as part of your bath time routine.
Water/Eau, Cetyl Betaine, Sodium Methyl 2-Sulfolaurate, Disodium 2-Sulfolaurate, Glycerin, Propanediol, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Aloe Barbadensis* Leaf Juice, Glyceryl Caprylate, Glyceryl Undecylenate, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Citrus Paradisi (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil. *Certified Organic
I looked at some other baby shampoo’s but they all seemed to have some kind of glycol in them. I could have researched farther, but I really believe that Aleva is the best.
So there are some baby products to get you started. Be sure to check out my Recipe page is you are up to making some of your own baby products.
#handmadesoap #naturalsoap #makingsoapnaturally #soapmaking #soapmaking #soaps #artisansoap #bathandbody #cpsoap #coldprocesssoap #etsy #soapbase #soapcrafter #soapmaker #soaping #soapcrafting #soaphandmade #soap #giftidea #christmas #barsoap #handmadesoap #natural #organic #skincare #coldprocess #babysoaprecipe #naturalbabycare #babyproducts
© 2019 – 2022, Tes. All rights reserved.
My Uncle just had a new baby and I was thinking of buying them a gift and I was so confused. I’m glad I found this article because it has the best run down of the natural baby products. I think I’m going to choose one from this and get them that. Thank you so much for posting all these natural baby products.
It can be confusing there are so many baby products on the market. I hope to continue to review more products and keep you updated. I’m glad I was able to help your with a natural gift for your Uncle.
This is so important! I don have kids yet, but I like reading about things like this for when I do. It’s really helpful so thank you for sharing! I appreciate the list you gave of natural baby products to have on hand and specific products that relate to natural products for babies. I am trying to be proactive about this even now before kids so that it’s easier to incorporate into our lifestyle when I do have kids.
Hi Elita, I am so impressed that you are already doing research before having your baby. My daughter-in-law did the same thing. You’ll be so busy when you have a baby that you probably won’t have a lot of time to research then, so this is great. You will know beforehand what products you will be buying for your little one. Thanks for stopping by.
I have a 1 year old grandson and have used the Aleva products. Now my daughter in law is expecting a second son or daughter in September. I will definitely be purchasing more of the products you recommend on this site and I will be bookmarking and forwarding this site to my son and daughter in law. Thank you for getting this information out there. I will be purchasing a lot of these products in the very near future..
Hi Jason, thanks for your comments. We too are expecting another grandchild soon. Guess we will both be buying lots of Aleva products.
Thanks for this educative and informative post, I love the fact that you came out with products that are friendly for a baby’s skin care.The Aleva naturals products is very new to me, I and my wife haven’t made use of this product, but with the illustration and personal review I’ve made online I think it’s worth the try. Just hope they work effectively.
Hi Seun, I have heard nothing but good about Aleva Natural Products. My daughter used them on the grandchildren and was very pleased. I’m sure you will be to. Thanks for stopping by.
Fantastic article. My sister is pregnant, and I’m looking for gifts to get her and help her prepare for my niece or nephew! I’ve always been a fan of giving useful gifts, so I know that some all natural baby products that are practical and good for her and her child are one of the best things I could give her. I feel like it’s a more unique and overlooked thing to give new mothers. I’ll definitely look into these products, but I think the natural shampoo may be a good starter for me to get her.
Congratulations Auntie! You sister will love the natural shampoo for sure.